Monday, January 09, 2006

About a Boy

Which by the way, is a great movie, also means so much more to me now that I have not only one big boy, but a little one, as well. It was definitely an eye-opener when I got married. Going from a house full of girls, with a father who worked most of the time, to living full time with my husband (Yep! he's a boy!) definitely clued me in to the world of boys. But, having a little boy, a little superkid, that runs around all day long, poking into things he isn't supposed to, and giving you a sly, charming, absolutely captivating smile while he does it, has definitely highlighted the differences between the sexed. He has always loved rocks and dirt (so boy!), and he only cries for about 30 seconds before he heads back to tackle whatever it was that messed him up in the first place, and he now growls at everything, fights his dinosaurs, and now we are trying to teach him to box. And, yes! I encourage this! Not sure why, but it just seems so natural. Even my mother said, "I can see how you can be rougher with a little boys than little girls." He can take a nap while there are hammers and drills working right above his head, he eats like crazy, and pounds on anything that is near - floor included - with his drumsticks...real drumsticks. I read the funniest article, when I was pregnant, about a mom learning about boys. I laughed at it then, with a self-satisfied thought that I knew what I was in for. HA! As Will, played by Hugh Grant on "About a Boy", said (as he follows an ambulance, with a lady who just tried to commit suicide in it, to the hospital) "It was horrible, horrible. But, driving fast behind the ambulance was fantastic!"
Yep! That pretty much sums it up!

he loves to take the flakes one by one while Daddy is eating his cereal beside him.
Yep! He's adorable!

No comments: